tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 30 07:09:35 2004

Re: Using object prefixes with "intransitive" verbs

From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>

> At 12:48 PM 3/29/2004, SuStel wrote:
>
> >DujDaq jIjaH.
> >I go (somewhere unspecified) on the ship.
> >
> >DujDaq yuQ vIjaH.
> >I go to the planet on the ship.
> >

> I know there is the verb {vegh},  but can the concept above also be
> generalized to 'through' or 'via' such as in the following?

Don't generalize.  There have been a lot of people here wanting to
generalize lately, but the correct thing to do is to construct a sentence
that means what you want it to mean, according to what we know.

> lojmItDaq jI'el.
> I enter through the door.
>
> lojmItDaq pa' vI'el.
> I enter the room through he door.

You don't need generalizations to work these out.  "In/at/on the door I
enter the room."  Because "entering" typically involves going from one area
to another, "through" is not much of a stretch.  But the construction
doesn't mean "through."  It's just one likely interpretation.

Since you know about {vegh}, use it!

lojmIt vIvegh; pa' vI'el.
I enter the room through the door.

SuStel