tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 29 07:39:56 2004

Re: Using object prefixes with "intransitive" verbs

From: <[email protected]>
> In a message dated 3/29/2004 9:43:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
> <The object of /jaH/, for example, is
> always the destination, which is a locative concept.  This isn't some
> strange rule about /-Daq/; it's just a mention that the object of certain
> verbs are already destinations, so there's no need to include /-Daq/
(though
> you can add it if you don't mind being redundant). >
> qon SuStel
> ___________________________________________-
>
> Usually when you explain something, I completely understand you and
greatly
> appreciate the info. However; this time you leave me puzzled. You
mentioned
> <jaH> ok. In the sentence <pa'lIjDaq yIjaH! > Daq is used. (something I
have said
> to my daughter more than once here lately.) lol  Are you saying that it is
> redundant to use it here or am I completely off-mark again?

This is a big can o' worms that I don't have time to properly explain right
now.

The simple answer is that Okrand came up with the extended rules about
locatives long after he wrote many examples that don't follow them.

/pa'lIjDaq yIjaH/ really means "In your room, go!" meaning "Be in your room
as you go!"  When the sentence was first written, though, the special rules
for locatives hadn't been written yet.

Find the HolQeD in which this is explained by Okrand (6:4?).

SuStel
Stardate 4242.7

Back to archive top level