tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 29 04:58:27 2004

Re: tetlhvamDaq Hoch nuvpu' /everyone on this list

captain kalaa ([email protected])

I don't speak another language, but I do know quite a
few phrases in Spanish, and I have been told I have an
excellent accent in it (by a Puerto Rican friend in
New York and a Mexican-American friend in San Jose).
I understand wanting to get it right, but I think that
most non-native speakers, even people who
conscientiously attempt "authentic" accents, will have
traces of their own accent within speech.  I don't
think it is possible not to have some slips now and
then.

I was attempting to explain perhaps only one reason
why tlhingan-hol speakers may sound different.  After
all, most people who attempt to speak Klingon are not
actors, and they do not have a vested interest in
"speaking like a Klingon".

I think it is great that you came across tlhingan-Hol
outside Star Trek fandom, but I have been a Trekkie
since I was six and cannot imagine knowing nothing
about Klingons and trying to learn "their" language.
I would suggest that to know something about the
character of these fictional beings could help a
learner immensely in the emotional understanding of
speaking "the Warrior's tongue".

As much as I love the language, I think "cultural"
knowledge is important too.  That is why I am
attempting to accumulate a database of Klingon
information on my site, the Klingon Cultural
Institute.  Language is SO important, but a cultural
frame of reference is always a good thing to have.

(And yes, the name of my site was inspired by the
Klingon Language Institute, thank you Dr. Speers).