tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 28 10:52:18 2004

that (was: That's not canon)

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

QeS lagh:
>If {SISlu'} is not great, maybe there's no explicit subject on {SIS}, like
>in English: "It's clear to me that..." What is "It"? If you ask someone
>what
>"It" means in "It's clear to me that...", they'll probably stand there with
>a confused look for a while, then repeat their sentence.

Isn't the "it" in that situation acting like an "inverse-<'e'>"?
It refers to the entire sentence after "that".

Example:
    "The sky is falling"
    "It is clear to me that (the sky is falling)", i.e.
        "That (the sky is falling) is clear to me"

It looks exactly like an "inverse-<'e'>" -- it acts as the
subject of the verb and refers to the next sentence!

This is probably wrong from a linguistic point of view but that's
what I thought as soon as I saw it.

--
De'vID

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*