tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 15:38:05 2004

Re: That's not canon

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' voragh:

>   In a way everyone was correct with this one. It rained a few times
>   during the weekend, so we were put into the situation to discuss it.
>   {SIS. SISqu'. SIStaH. SISchoH.}  All correct. {SISlu'}, although
>   grammatically correct, he didn't particularly like... You can also
>   give it an object and say things like the clouds rained down cats
>   and dogs... or something like that; you get the idea. But when Marc
>   and I went outside and drops of water were falling on us, he looked
>   up and simply said '{SIS}'.

This is the joy of null prefixes in Klingon, I have noticed. I don't know
whether Dr Okrand planned it this way, but there's no way to tell whether
the verb {SIS} has a subject agreement. It could be either {zero prefix-SIS}
(3rd person sg/pl-to rain) or just {SIS} (to rain).

If {SISlu'} is not great, maybe there's no explicit subject on {SIS}, like
in English: "It's clear to me that..." What is "It"? If you ask someone what
"It" means in "It's clear to me that...", they'll probably stand there with
a confused look for a while, then repeat their sentence.

So full marks to Dr Okrand for third-person null prefixes.

QeS lagh

Personalise your phone with chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp

Back to archive top level