tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 14:45:58 2004

Re: -Daq on numbers?

Quvar:
> >By the way, this exmple shows us that {-Daq} is not only restricted to
> >"real" locations, like a ship, planet, or a place but can also be used with
> >more abstract ideas as the {qep'a'} That's an event, not a place.

QeS lagh:
>But still a real-world event: a bunch of people getting together. That's the
>way I see this: the expression of location refers to getting together with
>the bunch of people. The other interpretations seem to make sense too,
>though...
>
>In addition, most of us have used {mu'tlheghDaq} at some time or another,
>qar'a'? {{:)

But {mu'tlhegh} can also be a location:  a string of text on the screen or
page.  You can point to a particular sentence and touch it.

>If we can use a number as a noun (representing one of a group here), then
>that should mean that we can use noun suffixes on them. {wa'qoq yIHoH} "kill
>the so-called one of them" (for instance, talking about an impostor) might
>be difficult to interpret, but it *appears* to make more sense in Klingon
>than it does in English.

Really?  This sounds like gibberish to me - in either language.  He isn't a
"so-called one" - what is he, actually a "two"? - but rather a so-called
something (e.g. a so-called warrior, a so-called diplomat, a so-called
scientist).  Still, we could ask Maltz.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons