tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 14:25:20 2004

Re: -Daq on numbers?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Quvar:

>By the way, this exmple shows us that {-Daq} is not only restricted to
>"real" locations, like a ship, planet, or a place but can also be used with
>more
>abstract ideas as the {qep'a'}
>That's an event, not a place.

But still a real-world event: a bunch of people getting together. That's the
way I see this: the expression of location refers to getting together with
the bunch of people. The other interpretations seem to make sense too,
though...

In addition, most of us have used {mu'tlheghDaq} at some time or another,
qar'a'? {{:)

latlh jabbI'IDDaq qech taHmoH Quvar:
>Back to the numbers:
>we have       {wa' yIHoH} "kill one (of them)"
>could we say       {wa'Daq yIbach} "shoot at one (of them)"
>I see no problem.

jIHvaD qay'be'law' je.

If we can use a number as a noun (representing one of a group here), then
that should mean that we can use noun suffixes on them. {wa'qoq yIHoH} "kill
the so-called one of them" (for instance, talking about an impostor) might
be difficult to interpret, but it *appears* to make more sense in Klingon
than it does in English. (This is assuming that numbers can be used as nouns
in this way.)

Savan.

QeS lagh

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp?banner=emailtag&referrer=hotmail

Back to archive top level