tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 15:10:30 2004

Re: -Daq on numbers?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu':

>If we can use a number as a noun (representing one of a group here), then
>that should mean that we can use noun suffixes on them. {wa'qoq yIHoH}
>"kill
>the so-called one of them" (for instance, talking about an impostor) might
>be difficult to interpret, but it *appears* to make more sense in Klingon
>than it does in English.

mujang voragh:

>Really?  This sounds like gibberish to me - in either language.  He isn't a
>"so-called one" - what is he, actually a "two"? - but rather a so-called
>something (e.g. a so-called warrior, a so-called diplomat, a so-called
>scientist).  Still, we could ask Maltz.

It made sense to me, anyway. {{:D What I mean is that if <wa' yIHoH> means
"Kill one (of them)", then <wa'qoq yIHoH> would mean "Kill a so-called one
(of them)". But I see your point - it really means more "Kill one" than
"Kill one of them".

Unless we're talking about multiple personalities: perhaps <vagh nuv ghaH
'e' Har'a'? vaghqoq tIHoH>, "He thinks he's five people? Kill the so-called
five!" {{:)

Savan.

QeS lagh

Personalise your mobile chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp

Back to archive top level