tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 14:06:26 2004

Re: -Daq on numbers?

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> Some people think that this should be punctuated {<<qep'a' wejDIch>>Daq}
> "at the Third [KLI] Congress"; that is, Okrand is using {qep'a' wejDIch}
> as
> the name of the congress and, therefore, {-Daq} isn't really on a number
> per se, but on the end of a proper name.

ehm, I also think so :-)

> Another interpretation is that {qep'a' wejDIch} really does refer to a
> physical location:  the room(s) in the hotel where the Congress was taking
> place.

If it works with qep'a', it will certainly work with qepHom too.
I've used it with {QI'lop}, because I see that also as an event that takes
place at a location, since we celebrate it every year in Germany.

Back to the numbers:

we have
      {wa' yIHoH} "kill one (of them)"

could we say
      {wa'Daq yIbach} "shoot at one (of them)"

I see no problem.

Quvar.