tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 07:26:00 2004

Re: KLBC numbering

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: prefix trick / KLBC

> nov wamwI'
> "You can find this information in the Klingon Language dictionary on page
34."
> cha'maH loS pageDaq tlhIngan Hol mu'ghomDaq  De'vam
> Datu'laH.
>
> Question: Did  I use the locative (Daq), meaning "in" "at" or "on" on both
of
> the words (mu'ghom) and (page) correctly or should I have just used it on
one
> or the other? In that case, which one?

I will assume you meant {wejmaH loS} "34", and not {cha'maH loS} "24". }}: )

If things are numbered in Klingon, the number indicating its "rank" comes
after.
{chorgh chetvI'} "Eight torpedo tubes"
{chetvI' chorgh} "Torpedo tube number eight"

As for your use of {-Daq} above, I have no problem with it. While I don't
believe we have any examples from canon of more than one {-Daq} noun in a
single sentence, I can't think of any reason why it would be disallowed.

That being said, I would probably have translated this as
{tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom *page* wejmaH loSDaq} "On page 34 of the Klingon
Dictionary"
Strictly for the sake of clarity. }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,