tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 07:30:10 2004

Re: Imperatives with {-eghmoH}, round 2

From: "QeS lagh" <[email protected]>

> ghItspu' SuStel:
>
> >naDev morISqa' hol vIjats vInechugh, mumevmo 'Iv?  So?  choja'ta'a' lats
> >ghlIngan hol yIjatsHo'?  wejpu.
>
> qamevmoHo'. chochaw'chugh qaghlej! qaghlo'qu'. chobelmopu'! naDev lats
> ghlIngan hol DIjatsla 'e' vISovbe'. taghwI'vaD Hats tIghvam 'e' vIhar, 'a
> lughojchola, qar'a'? :P
>
> SKI: Ensign QeS is happy to discover he can speak his dialect here if he
> wishes.
>
> Hapla'!
>
> QeS (HeS) lagh

I think the dialects are a whole lot of fun, but I can't speak for the
entire list as to whether they are officially allowed here.  I'm not aware
of any restriction that makes this a {ta' Hol} only list, but some people
may balk at the sudden appearance of many dialects.  It will certainly be
confusing to some beginners who, starting with only TKD, will not be able to
understand the dialects at all.  Maybe we need to discuss this a bit.

My point of view is that since the dialects are really Klingon, and are even
canonical, that they should be considered a legitimate form of communication
here on the list.  However . . . it is made quite clear by Okrand that
speaking a dialect other than the standard dialect marks one as regional,
possibly stupid or out-of-touch.  Therefore, everyone on this list would be
expected to speak the standard dialect in normal speech, just as one Klingon
among many would be expected to speak the standard dialect, or be shunned or
laughed at.  As with grammatical rules that say "generally," dialect usage
should reflect the Klingon usage, or we're straying from authentic Klingon
speech.

While the Crime Ensign may enjoy speaking in his native dialect, he's
marking himself as a country bumpkin to be ridiculed.

Krankor brings up some good points about problems about us Terrans using
Okrand's ever-unchanging dialects and slang in a recent issue of HolQeD.

SuStel (whose name remains constant in all known dialects)
Stardate 4207.1

Back to archive top level