tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 15 20:47:34 2004

Re: multiple verb suffixes

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

At 08:48 PM 3/15/2004, ngabwI' wrote:
> [...]

Could you clarify this?  i.e., only the subject does the "needing" when
{-nIS} is used? or
only the object when {-moH} is used with -nIS?

There was a discussion here a while back after -IIRC- Quvar  posted a verb
with many stems. That
discussion seemed to indicate that there was a lot of ambiguity in the
interpretation, just as
lay'tel SIvten  is indicating.

Another example:

{jIchen} - I take form.
{jIchenchoH} - I begin to take form.
{jIchennISchoH} - I need to begin to take form, or I begin to need to take
form?
                           Is there only one interpretation, or are both
allowed based on context?

{-moH} really stirs the soup:

{vIchennISchoHmoH} - is there only one interpretation, or a bunch based on
context?

Dar'Qang
bItaghbe'chugh bIrInbe'ba'

Back to archive top level