tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 14 18:20:58 2004

multiple verb suffixes

now i know that {vIchennISmoH} is grammatically ambiguous, since it means
both "i need to create it" (apparently the more common interpretation by far) and
"i cause it to need to take form".
is it true that all cases of multiple verbal suffixes (excluding rovers) have
this sort of ambiguity, where the meanings compounded by different orderings
of the suffix meanings are all represented by the same fixed string of
suffixes?
eg. does {muqIpqa'pu'} mean both "he (had/has/will have) hit me again" and
"he (had/has/will have) resumed hitting me"?
many of the combinations don't make any sense to me aside from a
last-to-first interpretation of the suffixes.  eg. what else would {maQuchchoHpa'} mean
besides "before we became/become happy"?
lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level