tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 13 13:37:14 2004

Re: imperatives of verbs of state (round 2)

In a message dated 2004-03-13 12:26:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Why are you so focused on the word "generally"?

because the original poster said that the suffixes are "required", and kgt
says different.  since i haven't been in a situation yet where i actually wanted
to leave them off, it's all been theoretical so far.
the situation is somewhat the reverse of what you describe.  you gave several
examples of dr okrand explaining where the grammar is not as strict as
originally thought.  fine.  but kgt already says the grammar is not rigid in this
case, yet other people are taking it as written in stone.

>And if the point isn't to speak as Klingons do, what's the point of
listening to ANYTHING Okrand says?

my point is not with what okrand says.  he's the highest authority on
klingon, but he's fallible.  there are lots of mistakes in his books and tapes, etc.,
but i'm not too concerned about those, beyond noting the corrections.  my
concern here is with other people's interpretations of what he says.  i just
think that they are being too rigid in this case.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level