tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 10 13:33:00 2004

Re: chuv

ja' Voragh:
>Krankor (and others) postulate an unattested or obsolete (Old Klingon?)
>verb *{De'} "to compute".
>If is obsolete, it may have been replaced by the "modern" words {SIm}
>"calculate".  (We also have {chel} "add" and {togh} "count".)

This hypothetical explanation ignores the meaning of the noun {De'}.  I
think the postulated verb would more likely mean "process data" or
"manipulate information".  The English word "computer" is a result of the
fact that the first such devices were effectively calculating and
tabulating machines, working with numbers exclusively.

If the Klingon equivalent of Hollerith devised card sorters as
"classifying" machines rather than "tabulating" machines, computation might
have been viewed from the beginning as a secondary function of what we call
computers.  Calculators and "information processors" could occupy two
distinct regions in Klingon semantic space.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level