tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 07 18:49:46 2004

Re: Did Hoch, now pagh...

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, De'vID jonwI' wrote:
> >    "Not all Klingons have a beard"
> >    (i.e. most do have, but not all)
> >
> >without getting the phrase
> >    "All Klingons don't have a beard."
> >    (i.e. no klingon has a beard)

My words list offers /HochHom/ for "most, majority", but I'm not sure
where it came from.  Given that, I would say that /tlhInganpu' HochHom/
would convey "Most Klingons", which I would say has the same basic
connotation as "Not all".

> Well you can sidestep the issue by recasting as:
>      <rol ghajbe' 'op tlhInganpu'>
>      "Some Klingons do not have a beard."

/rol ghaj tlhInganpu' HochHom/
"Most Klingons have a beard."

>      <rol ghaj Hoch tlhIngan>
>      "Each Klingon (individually) has a beard."
>
>      <rol ghaj Hoch tlhInganpu'>
>      "All Klingons (as a group) have beards."

Maybe it's a bad example of context, but I don't see much difference here;
but perhaps that's just because the idea of "having a beard" doesn't lend
itself to communal sharing...  :)

>      <rol ghajbe' Hoch tlhInganpu'>
>      "All Klingons (as a group) do not have beards."
>      Or: *"Not all Klingons have a beard." (possibly ambiguous)

The English is not equivalent to each other, I don't see this as a
solution.

The underlying problem is connotation; In English, we employ a number of
phrases that connote a certain sense of "percentage".  Here are some
examples:

"Not all X are Y"
"Most X are not Y"
"Some X are Y"
"Few X are Y"
"Most X are Y"

These all indicate that there are exceptions within the realm of Y; the
actual precentage is based on connotation.  The last example is definitely
a majority; the word "most" specifically has that definition.  But I'd bet
most people have a perception of percentage with the others.  "Some X"
probably denotes more than a very minor quantity, while "Few X" tends to
be used for smaller percentages.

Moving to Klingon, we have a few words that work in the this manner.
/HochHom/ we have for "most", /'op/ for "some (but there's a note that
it's really an "unknown quantity" -- so it may not have a connotate so
much of majority/minority, so much as a connotation of uncertainty), and
/pagh/ for "none".  There are also the verb/adjectives /law'/ and /puS/
for "many" and "few".

The further complication is relating the descriptive to a specific set;
there is a difference between saying "no Klingon" and "none _of the_
Klingons", and that difference is important.  We've got canonical evidence
of /Hoch/ being used after a noun to indicate the latter case, and we can
extrapolate that /'op/ and the construct /HochHom/ could also be employed
similarly to achieve the same grammatical effect.

Trouble arises with /pagh/.  The problem is that it also happens to be a
number, and we have distinct directive in terms of translating numbers
based on their position in relation to their core noun.  /pagh pu'/ is
"zero phasers" or "no phaser", and /pu' pagh/ is "phaser #0".  I put forth
that /pagh/ could be used in similar ways as /Hoch/, but we end up with an
ambiguity; /pu' pagh/ could be "Phaser Zero" -or- "None of the phaser".

Dipping into the realm of fantasy here, I think there could be made a good
argument that the Klingon counting system is 1-based, not zero-based, and
so they would never actually number something "zero" (ie. no "Patient
Zero" kinds of things).  If we make that "guess", we open up /pagh/ for a
lot of things -- /pu' pagh/ becomes unambiguously "none of the phaser",
and perhaps we even open up the possibility of /pu' paghHom/ "almost none
of the phaser".

Given that, we can cover a decent range of quantity:

Hoch -> HochHom -> 'op  -> paghHom -> pagh
All  -> Most    -> Some -> Little  -> None

Any other ideas/insights?

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
  "Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there
          is no path and leave a trail." -- Muriel Strode

Back to archive top level