tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 15:58:09 2004

tuj luSpetmey

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

<physics>QeD vIHaD 'ej paQDI'norgh vIghermeH tlhIngan Hol
vIlo'.

jIrbe'chugh luSpet 'ej Hujlu'be'chugh, luSpet nap ponglu'.
luSpet napvaD Hat, <entropy> je DelmeH ngeDqu' Qu'.
<Planck unit>mey DIlo'.  luSpet nap HapvaD <m> wIpong,
wanI' ghangwI' <area>DajvaD <A> wIpong, 'ej <entropy>DajvaD
<S> wIpong.  vaj <m^2> rur <A> 'ej <A> rur <S>.  <S> wISIm
wIneHchugh, wIlo':  S = A / (4 hbar G).  tlham mI'na' 'oH
<G> 'e'.

Hat vuSlu'bogh ghaj luSpet, luSpet HurDaq 'e' tu' bejwI'.
wojvaD tlhuDbogh luSpet, <Hawking> woj ponglu'.

I'm studying physics (do we have a word for that yet?), and
to practise my <tlhIngan Hol>, I've been writing some of my
notes in Klingon.   I'd appreciate it if people would comment
on the above.  The ideas that I'm trying to convey are
roughly as follows:

Black holes that do not rotate and which have no charge
(is <Hujlu'be'bogh> appropriate here?) are known as
"simple" black holes.  It is very easy to describe the
temperature and entropy for a simple black hole.  We
assume Planck units.  (I found many units of measurement,
but no word for "unit (of measurement)" in general.)

Let "m" be the mass (<Hap> "matter") of the black hole, let
"A" be the area of its event horizon (<wanI' ghangwI'>...
which might not be what a Klingon physicist calls an
"event horizon", but it'll do until I find out what the
proper term is... probably something involving <veH>), and
let "S" be its entropy.

Then "A" is proportional (I used <rur> here, because I
couldn't come up with a way of expressing "varies in
proportional to") to "m^2" (I tried various ways of
using <boq>, <-'egh> and <-logh>, but just couldn't
extend multiplication to squaring), and "S" is
proportional to "A".  To calculate "S", we use: (the
formula), where "G" is the gravitational constant
(<tlham mI'na'>... okay, so <-na'> means I'm sure that
it's a "number", but I couldn't think of another way to
express "constant", plus I'm *definitely sure* that "G"
is "gravity's number". :) )

The black hole has a finite (<vuSlu'bogh> "limited")
temperature, as seen by an outside observer.  The
radiation emitted by the black hole is called the
Hawking radiation.

The funny thing about Klingon is that I have words for
concepts like "radiation" and "black hole" and "gravity",
and even "event horizon" (well, okay, I made that one up),
but none for simple things like "area".  (Is there a way to
express the concept of surface area?  I found all kinds
of words for different types of areas and different
measurements, but nothing I could use to express the
idea of surface area.)  And for "entropy" I wanted to
find a way to talk about "disorderliness", but <ghIH>
didn't quite capture the idea.

Comments?  Suggestions?  HIjang!

--
De'vID