tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 15:53:42 2004

Re: more vector questions

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

De'vID:
>>I'm also looking for a word for "acceleration".  We do have <chung>
>>"accelerate", but I'm looking for a noun.  i.e. <ghoS> is to <Do> as
>><chung> is to...?  Suggestions?

qon Voragh:
>{chung} is all we have, so if you must have a technical noun I think this
>is a good place to use {-ghach}.  If you wanted to you could even have
>slightly different nouns:  *{ghungtaHghach} "constant acceleration" vs.
>{ghunglI'ghach} "acceleration (up to a pre-determined point?)".  (N.B. just
>don't attach {ghach} to the bare verb stem.)

I ended up using <chungtaHghach>, but it's not entirely satisfactory
to me.  Acceleration being such an important concept for space
travel, surely it is a common concept among a space-faring race such
as the Klingons.  Are there no examples in canon where someone talks
about accelerating the ship?  I guess in <Hov leng> all they do is
give the final speed/warp factor they desire without explaining how
it got there!

--
De'vID