tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 17:13:28 2004

Re: geography

Quvar ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 01.03.2004 22:07:51, schrieb "d'Armond Speers, Ph.D." <[email protected]>:

>TKD 3.2.1 Compound nouns

>In addition, in 3.2.2 Verb plus {-wI'}, TKD adds (on p. 20):
>
>"A noun formed by adding {-wI'} to a verb is a regular noun, so it may be
>used along wtih another noun to form a compound noun.  For example,
>{tIjwI'ghom} /boarding party/ comes from {tIjwI'} /boarder/ plus {ghom}
>/group/; and {tIjwI'} comes from {tIj} /board/ plus {-wI'}."

Aha! Thanks. I read section 3.2.1, but not this one. That's the quote I was looking for, which somehow "allows" us to make
compound nouns.
The above example for instance shows (at least to me) that one can make a word "group of something" using the noun {ghom}, like
{ghojwI'ghom} is a group of learners, a {mu'ghom} is a "group of words". This MUST be a compound noun, since {ghojwI' ghom} is
a noun noun construction meaning "the group of the learners", "group belonging to the learners", not the learners themself.

Thias should also work with {X-QeD}, my question is only which word to use in the X-slot.

By the way, in german it is very commun to have compound nouns. This certainly has influence on my decisions.
Nobody would use it, but that's 100 percent correct german:
Donauschifffahrtskapitänsmützenherstellungsbetriebsgesellschaftsvorsitzendenbürobeleuchtung.
:-D

Quvar.

PS: we have no word for geography.

Back to archive top level