tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 14:08:43 2004

Re: more vector questions

De'vID:
>Now I'm looking for words for "velocity" and "acceleration".  So
>we have <Do> for "velocity", although the translations of
><qughDo> and <gho'Do> would lead me to believe that the word
>really means "speed".  (In physics, "velocity" is a vector quantity
>while "speed" is scalar, although in "everyday usage", "velocity"
>is often used interchangeably with "speed".)  But in a physics
>context it seems quite appropriate.  So far so good.

The "everyday usage" seems to be what Okrand had in mind.  {Do} occurs in a
couple of compound nouns:

{gho'Do}  "sublight (speed)"

{qughDo}  "cruising speed"

   qughDo motlh: pIvlob vagh
   Normal Cruising Speed - Warp 5 (KBoP)

  'aqroS qughDo: pIvlob Hut vI' vagh
   Maximum Cruising Speed - Warp 9.5 (KBoP)

>I'm also looking for a word for "acceleration".  We do have <chung>
>"accelerate", but I'm looking for a noun.  i.e. <ghoS> is to <Do>
>as <chung> is to...?  Suggestions?

{chung} is all we have, so if you must have a technical noun I think this
is a good place to use {-ghach}.  If you wanted to you could even have
slightly different nouns:  *{ghungtaHghach} "constant acceleration" vs.
{ghunglI'ghach} "acceleration (up to a pre-determined point?)".  (N.B. just
don't attach {ghach} to the bare verb stem.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level