tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 11:29:00 2004

Re: geography

From: "Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar)" <[email protected]>

> - Untranslated is not good, it would be the only word untranslated in the
text, and it's not that important
> for the story wether 'tis {puHQeD} or {yotlhQeD}.
>
> - Another way to say it is still a problem.
> I think
>    {puH Sep Doch je pongmey qonbogh tej}
> is more confusing than
>    {puHtej}
> (btw, a {puHtej} is a {tej} for {puH} isn't it?)

TKD gives us rules for combining nouns.  This is the noun-noun construction.

TKD does not give us rules for squishing two nouns into the same word.
These are compound nouns, and TKD simply describes them; it doesn't say we
can construct them.

I would accept {puH tej} as a legal construction.  Without the consent of a
Klingon, I would not accept {puHtej}.

And if you say they're the same thing when you say them, then you'll have no
problem with writing it as {puH tej}.

> - Local use? You mean, like {pemHov} is used in Hamlet for "sun", although
it's not canon?
> I believe I will then choose this option, since there are few other words
like this.

Sort of.  What I mean is to explicitly mention that the word you're using
was made up by you.

SoQvamvaD mu' vI'ogh: puHQeD.  puH QulDI' tej, puHQeD ghaH.

> -.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
> Perhaps I should restate my question.
> If {puHtej} is "geography" - we don't know.
>
> Then please tell me, what's the exact difference between
>     yotlh, ghor, Hatlh, puH?

I believe Okrand explains some of this in KGT.  I don't have the book handy,
but look near the beginning, when he starts describing regionalisms.

> And which of these could be used for what geography concerns?
>
> You understand {puHQeD}, don't you? What do you understand in
>      yotlhQeD, ghorQeD, HatlhQeD, puHQeD?

I understood {puHQeD} because you also used the word "geography" in your
post.  It might not be that obvious.  "Land-science."  Is that soil
analysis?  Study of land-based biology?  There are a number of
interpretations.

Are you trying to gauge how many people can correctly guess your meaning in
a made-up word?  You want a guessing contest?

I can put a lot of meanings to the formations you used above.  They're still
not known words.  You acknowledge this, but you're still trying to use them
as words.

SuStel
Stardate 4166.4

Back to archive top level