tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 08:53:55 2004

Re: geography

Quvar ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

jaj 01.03.2004 rep 02:24:37 ghItlh "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>:

>> Okay, let's imagine I'm writing a klingon book about geography.
[...]
>> I guess I can use the compound word {puHQeD}. But there are some related

>As always, creation of a word because it seems to make sense does not make
>it a Klingon word.  Do I understand it?  Yes.  Does that make it right?  No.
>Maybe it's right and maybe it's not.

I was expecting exactly this answer from you. :-)
And I agree 100%.

>Ask us how to express concepts, not how to translate words.  Use the word
>list to translate words.

I know about that. taghwI' jIHbe' net Sov 'e' vIHar.
By the way, I'm not translating a word. I am making a compound noun using two words... Let's say this
is an exception. ;-)

>There seem to have been a lot of "what's the word for" questions lately.

Yes, they all came from me, cause I'm translating my dictionary. Thanks for reminding me. Do you want
more of those? :-)

>leave it untranslated or find another way to say it.  Or define a term for
>local use only.

- Untranslated is not good, it would be the only word untranslated in the text, and it's not that important
for the story wether 'tis {puHQeD} or {yotlhQeD}.

- Another way to say it is still a problem.
I think
   {puH Sep Doch je pongmey qonbogh tej}
is more confusing than
   {puHtej}
(btw, a {puHtej} is a {tej} for {puH} isn't it?)

- Local use? You mean, like {pemHov} is used in Hamlet for "sun", although it's not canon?
I believe I will then choose this option, since there are few other words like this.
-.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Perhaps I should restate my question.
If {puHtej} is "geography" - we don't know.

Then please tell me, what's the exact difference between
    yotlh, ghor, Hatlh, puH?
And which of these could be used for what geography concerns?

You understand {puHQeD}, don't you? What do you understand in
     yotlhQeD, ghorQeD, HatlhQeD, puHQeD?

It's not soooo important, I'm not really writing a Klingon book about geography.

Again, a disclaimer:
I do not want to know the/a word for geography.
I do not want to make up a new word.
I do not want to argue about if this is good or not.

Thanks.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level