tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 11:20:41 2004

RE: Segh Soch mojaq <<-pu'>>

Quvar wrote:
> >{puq ghaH loD'e'}
> >"the man is a child"
> >
> >{puq ghaHpu' loD'e'}
> >"the man was a child"
> >[-pu' completed, since he now is adult]
> >
> >{puq ghaHpu'bogh loD'e'}
> >"the man which was a child" [??]
> >
> >{puq'e' ghaHpu'bogh loD}
> >"the child which the man was" [??!?]
> >
> >"All adults have once been kids"
> >{puqpu' chaHpu' Hoch nenwI'pu''e'}

QeS lagh:
>I don't object to this. It looks OK from my (admittedly not very
>experienced) point of view (Maybe it just sounds weird because there are a
>whole bunch of <pu'>s in it, but nothing's wrong with it  grammatically
>that I can see.)

Although AFAIK Okrand has never used a Type 7 suffix other than {-taH}
"continuous" on a pronoun-as-verb, I agree that they do seem theoretically
possible.  They sound strange because Quvar's English isn't native.  But we
can re-word his translations to make them sound more colloquial:

   puq ghaHpu' loD'e'
   the man used to be a child
   the man was once a child
   the man once was a child

   puq ghaHpu'bogh loD'e'
   the man who was once a child
   the man who once was a child
   the man who used to be a child

   puq'e' ghaHpu'bogh loD
   the child the man once was

I'm not sure about these last two, if only because we've never seen a
pronoun-as-verb used with {-bogh} other than the odd-sounding:

   jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'
   I'm lost.  TKD

In fact, I was just toying with this very construction the other day.  For
example, a defector {cheHwI'} might be able to say:

   DIvI' rewbe' jIHpu' 'ach  DaH wo' vItoy'.
   I used to be a Federation citizen, but now I serve the Empire.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level