tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 30 05:51:42 2004

Re: tep

From: "Lieven L. Litaer" <[email protected]>

> SuStel:
> > Is a "computer" a machine or a person?
> > Depends on when it was said.
>
> Huh? The word "computer" was said in TKD. We all know it refers to some
> kind of machine, and is not a "person who computes".

I didn't ask if {De'wI'} is a machine or person, I asked if "computer" was a
machine or person.

Grammatically, it could be either one.  Modern connotations make its usual
meaning a machine, but it's still possible to make it mean "person who
computes" if you try hard enough.

Prior to the late 20th century, "computer" meant "one who computes."  The
machine connotation was hardly ever used (certainly not the electronic
one!).

----

We need to know the cultural context in which the word "computer" is used in
order to answer my question; so too might we need to know the cultural (or
other) context to figure out {tepqengwI'}.  My *guess* is that it's a
machine, but I have no proof of that; I'm basing my guess on my own language
and cultural biases.  A Klingon might see it differently.  There may be a
standard meaning for the word.

Until we know for sure, take your best guess.  If we don't know for sure, we
can't say you're wrong.

SuStel
Stardate 4497.0

Back to archive top level