tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 25 11:22:13 2004

Re: Learning Klingon

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, [iso-8859-1] Matthew Pennington wrote:
> So, I finally got round to starting Klingon, four years after I bought
> TKD. That's what summer vacation is all about, right? At any rate,
> dx/dt, I made it through the noun section without a hitch, memorizing
> and at least beginning to grasp all of it. Then, I met an impasse. How
> does one continue from there? I feel I need to learn the grammar and
> start making sentences before I can learn words, but to do that, I need
> to learn how verbs work, which requires some knowledge of grammar. I'm

Verbs are described in the section after Nouns.  Learning the (simpler
points of the) grammar is probably the easiest part of the whole thing.
It's only about 71 pages, start to finish.  The hardest part is learning
the vocabulary.

So read through the TKD, don't worry so much about memorizing everything
in each section.  Get an overview of how things work.  You've probably
already picked up on how there are different "types" of noun suffixes, and
how they have a specific order.  When you get to verb, you'll find the
same thing, with the added hitch of a set of prefixes as well.  Then you
move on to the syntax, and you'll find that the grammar is primarily in
"Object-Verb-Subject" order, and then you're pretty much all set.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
    "We must become the change we want to see" -- Mahatma Gandhi

Back to archive top level