tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 26 09:13:23 2004

Re: Learning Klingon

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Pennington" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 12:51 PM
Subject: Learning Klingon

Welcome to the list, Math!
My name is ngabwI', and I am the current Beginners' Grammarian. My job here
is to help out newcomers and beginners in learning Klingon, which means the
people who did it before me have decided you can trust me to evaluate your
work. When you include the letters "KLBC" in the subject line of a message,
it marks it as a beginner-level topic. This may be a question for me, or
just conversation with other beginners in general. KLBC is not limited to
participation by beginners, however. Anyone may contribute. The rule here is
that the first person allowed to discuss the grammar of a KLBC post is the
BG (that's me). Once I've gone through it, anyone can post any corrections
or additions. This keeps the beginner's confusion down to a minimum. If
possible, you should also include what you were trying to say, in English.
This will make it easier for me to make sure you are indeed saying what you
are trying to say.

The three most important web sites to be aware of, if you're not already:

The Klingon Language Institute:
http://www.kli.org

This list's FAQ:

The recently set up Klingon WikiWikiWeb:
/wiki/

The FAQ will certainly answer many of your first questions, and it provides
information about learning Klingon, using this mailing list, and KLBC.

Maybe you can introduce yourself  (in English or Klingon) or show us how
much Klingon you know so far.

What language resources do you have already?

Feel free to ask questions, analyze other people's messages, and attempt
your own.

You have been officially welcomed! }}: )

> So, I finally got round to starting Klingon, four years after I bought
TKD.

It took me roughly nine years. }}: )

>How do I continue from nouns?

As trite as this sounds, practice. You seem to lack confidence with grammar
terms, but people tend to learn those as needed to describe the concepts
behind them. The words are not strictly necessary for learning, and will
likely come in time.
Try posting some stuff that you've written, and if you misuse the words,
I'll let you know. And I won't throw out a lot of grammar terms w/o
explaining them. Promise.

So,
{DuSaQDaq bIHaDlaw'. nuq DaHaD?}
You seem to be in school. What do you study?

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org