tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 24 08:39:37 2004

RE: another canon 'mistake'?

>From: [email protected]
>
>This curse from PK is another canon example of an apparent CITH:
>[human male] "You belong in a black hole in the netherworld." =
>[marc okrand] {ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'.} [PK]
>(literally: "Your location is a black hole; in the netherworld." or
>something)
>
>What is the function of {ghe''orDaq} in this sentence?

This one is interpretable as follows without undue stretching:

     ghe''orDaq [luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e']

The English is just as vague.  It could mean either of these:

     You belong in (a black hole in the netherworld).
     (You belong in a black hole) (in the netherworld)

It doesn't really matter how you interpret the English, but TKD restricts
the interpretations available to the Klingon version.

>And the literal meaning is at considerable odds with the intended meaning.

Okrand frequently gives colloquial translations.  This is no different.  I
presume you're referring to the idea of "belonging in" being translated as
"your location is."

SuStel
Stardate 4480.9

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up ? now 3 months FREE!