tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 24 08:13:19 2004

{-wI'} nouns

In a message dated 2004-06-20 5:22:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, QeS lagh via
[email protected] writes:

> The definition of {-wI'} is one of the most clear definitions in TKD, which
> is why almost everyone is comfortable with using {-wI'} on verbs they may
> not ever have seen before. {wochwI'} "one who is tall".
> {ghojqangqa'moHlaHchu'taHwI'} "one who is clearly willing to be able to
> resume continually teaching". It's clear to me also that the {-wI'} noun is
> describing the *action*, not the people performing the action.
>
> QeS lagh

Such {-wI'} nouns do not describe the action.  They also do not describe the
people performing the action (or experiencing the state); rather they *label*
the people performing (or who can or habitually perform) the action.
{laDwI'} is a reader, one who reads (as one of his characteristics).  It
doesn't describe the action of reading.  It labels someone who can read, who does
read often or a lot.  And it's not the same as {laDbogh vay'}, which *is* a
description.  Part of the difference is that the {laDwI'} doesn't take an
object, since it's not a verb.  {paq laDbogh vay'} describes someone reading a book.

My opinion.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level