tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 24 08:07:45 2004

no-object prefix with certain verbs

This is my own answer to a question I asked here recently (20040618).
I've looked through all of the canon I have to find instances of a no-object
prefix used with any of the verbs for which all the glosses have prepositions
(*not* particles) after the verb.  There was only one word that matched the
criteria.  And it's a special case that doesn't count: {moH} 'be ugly' (without
an object); 'exert undue influence on' ["used only if there is an object" KGT
p. 154].

So even though no-object prefixes can be "used when an object is possible,
but unknown or vague" (TKD p33), none of those particular verbs have ever been
used without an object in canon.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level