tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 10 13:20:25 2004

Re: toasts & toasting

Voragh:
> > *{naDmeH SoQHom}.
> > *{vanmeH SoQHom}.
> >
> > None of these necessarily imply drinking, BTW, and could also mean an
> > encomium or any other type of speech in honor of something.

DloraH:
>The word "toast" itself doesn't mention drinking.  I don't drink; to me
>"toast"
>is a piece of bread held in high heat for a while.

I was curious about the word, so I looked it up.  From "Merriam-Webster's
Online Dictionary":

   Main Entry: TOAST
   Function: noun
   Date: 15th century
   1 a) sliced bread browned on both sides by heat b) food prepared with
     toasted bread
   2 [from the use of pieces of spiced toast to flavor drinks] a) someone
     or something in honor of which persons usually drink  b) one that is
     highly admired <she's the *toast* of society>
   3 [toast] : an act of proposing or of drinking in honor of a toast
   4 a rhyming narrative poem existing in oral tradition among black Americans

Since I don't drink myself, I had no idea the word had anything to do with
burned bread.  I assumed it was a variation of some foreign (probably
Germanic) borrowing.

 >>  reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj!
 >>  May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! PK

Hmm... since this is considered a Good Thing, the Klingon word for toast
could by analogy even be {'Iwghargh}!! <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level