tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 01 14:13:52 2004

Re: ... Hoch che'meH Qeb ...

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 12:04 PM
Subject: ... Hoch che'meH Qeb ...

OK, now I get it. (Thanks to Raik)

> wej Qeb ghajmeH vulqangan,
> 'e' vulqanDaq yInbogh.
> "Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,"

I want to use {lutu'lu'} "there are" with a {-vaD} "for" here, and a {Dab}
"dwell in/at" thrown in for good measure:

vulqan luDabbogh vulqanganvaD, wej Qeb lutu'lu'.
"There are 3 rings for the Vulcans on Vulcan".

> Soch Qeb ghajmeH tlhInganpu',
> 'e' Qo'noSDaq yInbogh.

Ditto, but obviously plug in {tlhIngan} and {Qo'noS} appropriately. }}: )

> Hut Qeb ghajmeH tera'ngan,
> 'e' tagha' nISbogh.
> Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

I'm not sure how you "Trekified" this one. Is that last supposed to be
{HeghnISbogh}, by any chance?

And I'd go with the formula so far:

HeghnISbogh tera'nganpu'vaD, Hut Qeb lutu'lu'
"For the Humans who must die, there are nine rings."

> wa' Qeb ghajmeH maQmIgh Hi',
> maQmIgh quS'a'DajDaq.
> One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

I like the recasting of "Dark Lord" to "Dictator of dark omen" Interesting.

Pretty much the same:
{maQmIgh quS'a'DajDaq ba'bogh maQmIgh HI'vaD, wa' Qeb tu'lu'}

> 'e' romuluSDaq yIn,

{romuluS Dab maQmIgh HI'} is my suggestion for this next line, because it
ties to the following line well:

> pa' buQ quvHa'ghach.

> Hoch che'meH Qeb 'ej
> chaH SammeH Qeb'e'.
> Hoch raDmeH Qeb 'ej

These lines seem to need a {wa'} after the {Qeb}'s.

> chaH quvHa'moHba'meH.
> One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

This might be a recasting thing, I don't think this a good trans for
"binding". Maybe something with {tay'moHtaHmeH} "For causing them to
continuously be together":

chaH tay'moHtaHmeH wa' Qeb tu'lu'.

I hope I haven't blown the meter too much. }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/