tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 09:28:47 2004

Re: Need help with finding correct words

grod wrote:

>I am looking to translate the English, add field, into
>tlhIngan-Hol. I can not find anything that matches one-on-one to field
>as in a form field. I thought that a combination might work as in a
>small record, e.g. taHom

Well, we have {tlhegh} "line, rope" which you could use for a line of
information or data {De'} on a spreadsheet or form.

We do have the verb {chel} "add", but this seems to refer to the
arithmetical operation.  (In KGT [p.148] a {chelwI'} is given as a slang
term for "accountant, financier, someone who deals in finances, accounting,
etc." which Okrands says "literally means 'adder, one who adds'.)  I
couldn't find anything else meaning "insert" or "put in" but we do have the
all-purpose {chenmoH} "build, form, make, create":

   tlhegh (chu') yIchenmoH
   create (a new) line

or, since many of us think that Clipped Klingon would probably be used with
computers:

   tlhegh (chu') chenmoH

{cher} "establish, set up" might also work, though we've only seen {ngoch
cher} "determine policy" (S25) and {boq cher} "establish an alliance" (S33).

What exactly do you mean by "form field" in this case?  Since we rarely
have the precise computer vocabulary required, one approach is to imagine
how a Klingon would describe what happens when you click ({chu'}
"activate") the "add field" button.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons