tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 09:47:50 2004

Re: KLBC: tlho'ren

[Since this is just a vocabulary/canon question, I thought that I'd answer
chepqu'.  The BG can discuss the grammar of the question.]

chepqu' ne' wrote:
>In the KLI site there is the word {tlho'ren}.
>I saw that word used at the Qo'noS QonoS.
>How was it used? One quart or litre?
>Is there a definitive way to use it?

Orkand introduced it on startrek.klingon (Oct. 1997) briefly:

   The only unit of volume I'm aware of is {tlho'ren}. I'm not
   exactly sure how much one {tlho'ren} is, but it seems to be
   in the quart/liter range.

Okrand didn't provide any examples, but it's no doubt used with the
measuring verb {muq} "have a volume of" similar to the way weights are
given with {ngI'} "have a weight of, weigh":

   wejvatlh SochmaH vagh SaD cheb'a'mey ngI' Duj
   Mass: 8.7 KT  [KBoP Poster]

literally, "the ship has a weight of 375,000 cheb'a's".  (A {cheb} is a
unit of weight around five pounds (2.25 kg or so) and the {cheb'a'} is
equal to 9 times a {cheb}.)

So, you could say:

   wa'vatlh tlho'ren muq 'Iw HIq qeghvam.
   This barrel of bloodwine has a volume of 100 tlho'rens.

You might also be able to use {ngaS} "contain (have inside)":

   wa'vatlh tlho'ren ngaS 'Iw HIq qeghvam.
   This barrel of bloodwine contains 100 tlho'rens.

or maybe

   'Iw HIq wa'vatlh tlho'ren ngaS qeghvam.
   This barrel contains 100 tlho'rens of bloodwine.
   ("This barrel contains bloodwine, 100 tlho'rens.").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level