tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 10:19:45 2004

Re: Need help with finding correct words

G. Roderick Singleton ([email protected])

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 10:36, Steven Boozer wrote:
> grod wrote:
>
> >I am looking to translate the English, add field, into
> >tlhIngan-Hol. I can not find anything that matches one-on-one to field
> >as in a form field. I thought that a combination might work as in a
> >small record, e.g. taHom
>
> Well, we have {tlhegh} "line, rope" which you could use for a line of
> information or data {De'} on a spreadsheet or form.
>
> We do have the verb {chel} "add", but this seems to refer to the
> arithmetical operation.  (In KGT [p.148] a {chelwI'} is given as a slang
> term for "accountant, financier, someone who deals in finances, accounting,
> etc." which Okrands says "literally means 'adder, one who adds'.)  I
> couldn't find anything else meaning "insert" or "put in" but we do have the
> all-purpose {chenmoH} "build, form, make, create":
>
>    tlhegh (chu') yIchenmoH
>    create (a new) line
>
> or, since many of us think that Clipped Klingon would probably be used with
> computers:
>
>    tlhegh (chu') chenmoH
>
> {cher} "establish, set up" might also work, though we've only seen {ngoch
> cher} "determine policy" (S25) and {boq cher} "establish an alliance" (S33).
>
> What exactly do you mean by "form field" in this case?  Since we rarely
> have the precise computer vocabulary required, one approach is to imagine
> how a Klingon would describe what happens when you click ({chu'}
> "activate") the "add field" button.

In this case, I want to create a place in which data will be inserted;
hence add a field to the document/form/display. I am primarily concerned
with documents and forms displayed on a screen. That sufficient info?

--
Dream BIG dreams! Others may deprive you of your material wealth and
cheat you in a thousand ways, but NO man can deprive you of the control

Back to archive top level