tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 15:45:53 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {yoj} related vocabulary

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 21.01.2004 17:55:09, schrieb Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:

>True, but at least Paramount linked "judgment" ...
paramount? no comment. :-)

>Linguistically meaningless, I
>agree, but at least it's consistent within Trek.
This will be on that I will leave untranslated

>Yes.  We have one example of {noH}:
Good, now it's clear.

>   chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq 'e' vInoH.
>   Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams. ST5

Hey, a new word! :-)
   {HIvchuq} "attack range"

is {HIv} also a noun??
If not, then one could guess that all these words {HIVchuq, HIvDuj, HIvHe} are shortened forms of
{HIvmeH Duj} etc. Even {HIvje'} could be a {HIvmeH qa' je'wI'} or so, a "thing that feeds our spirits to
go fighting"... But this is of course just theoretical klingon ethymology, or maybe I just talking nonsense
;-)

>>   {'oD} "arbitrate, mediate"
>Never used in canon.

Yes, but in this case, Marc Okrand's explanations were enough to find the meaning. And besides of that,
we have the derived noun:

>>   {'oDwI'} "arbitrator, arbiter"
>   Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who
>   was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

I remembered the episode, so I understood.

>>   {meqba'} [a type of Klingon legal proceeding]
>>how should I translate /that/?
>
>Don't, just transliterate it.  (Do you translate "pizza" or "lasagna"?)

I wondered how to translate "a type of Klingon legal proceeding" because I don't know what it means.
:-)
I've transliterated these words of course, and I have also transliterated, "germanified" some names.
For instance, a german doesn't pronounce "sark" like {Sargh} but more like the word "Sarg", which is a
coffin.
{Qaj} "kradge" has become "Kradsch", cause otherwise it's pronounced "krad-geh" or *{Qadqe'}*.
And {Suy} "shooy" is of course "Schuy" or "Schui", and many others for the same reason.
This dictionary should really be *all* in german, for a german learner who wants to learn Klingon, not
english...
[Who is gonna beat me for "Tribbel"? ;-p]

>The *mek'ba* (Paramount's spelling) is a type of Klingon legal proceeding;
>specifically, that portion of a Klingon trial or appeal in which evidence
>is heard.  It comes from TNG "Sins of the Father".

Good. Then I just need a good german speaker who can find a nice expression - cause I really have no
clue. [I mean "a type of Klingon legal proceeding"]

>in canon, so we don't know whether {chut} refers to the Law in general, an
>individual or specific law, or both.

That's very good! The german word is also ambiguous.

>>   {teblaw'} "jurisdiction"
>Never used in canon.

Grrr...

>I quite understand.  After all, "A Klingon may be inaccurate, but he is
>never approximate." (CK)

Yes. bIlugh.
But... No! The dictionary may NOT be inaccurate!!

Thanks ;-)

Quvar.

Back to archive top level