tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 10:48:41 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {yoj} related vocabulary

Quvar:
>   yoj n. judgement.

Voragh:
> >Never used by Okrand AFAIK [...]
> >"Judgment" was the title of an ENTERPRISE episode last season
>
>I think it was not made for that episode though.

True, but at least Paramount linked "judgment" to an episode showing a
Klingon trial, thus implying "legal judgment, legal ruling" and not simply
"opinion" {vuD} (e.g. "He shows poor judgment" for someone who acts before
thinking about the possible consequences).  Linguistically meaningless, I
agree, but at least it's consistent within Trek.

>   {noH} "judge, estimate"
>ein/schätzen / ver- / beurteilen / rechtsprechen
>
>is this used like
>    {blahblah 'e' vInoH}
>    "I estimate that ..." ?

Yes.  We have one example of {noH}:

   chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq 'e' vInoH.
   Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams. ST5

>   {'oD} "arbitrate, mediate"
>ok: schlichten, vermitteln, entscheiden

Never used in canon.

>   {'oDwI'} "arbitrator, arbiter"
>ok: Schlichter, Schiedsrichter, -mann

   yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD
HoD.
   Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who
   was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

>   {bo'DIj} "court [of law]"
>ok: "Gericht"

Never used in canon.

>   {meqba'} [a type of Klingon legal proceeding]
>how should I translate /that/?

Don't, just transliterate it.  (Do you translate "pizza" or "lasagna"?)

The *mek'ba* (Paramount's spelling) is a type of Klingon legal proceeding;
specifically, that portion of a Klingon trial or appeal in which evidence
is heard.  It comes from TNG "Sins of the Father".

>   {ghIpDIj} "court martial"
>ok: Kriegsgericht

Never used in canon.

>   {ruv} "justice"
>Recht?? Gerechtigkeit??

Never used in canon.  We also have the noun {chut} "law" - also never used
in canon, so we don't know whether {chut} refers to the Law in general, an
individual or specific law, or both.

>   {teblaw'} "jurisdiction"
>Rechtsprechung?? Zuständigkeit is unwahrscheinlich...

Never used in canon.

>(I'm not nitpicking, this just *has* to be correct.)

I quite understand.  After all, "A Klingon may be inaccurate, but he is
never approximate." (CK)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons