tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 03:28:31 2004

Re: KLBC pawpu' DIS chu'

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:12:27 -0500, "Scott Willis"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

Thank you.

I considered {tagh} as well, but its gloss suggested to me that it's
typically a transitive verb: I begin a process. And the when the year
starts, it does not "initiate" anything or "begin a process"; it just
"begins" or "starts".

Is {tagh} typically used in such contexts as well, when there is no
specific process at hand?

> > Philip:
> > ben law', qa'mey mIgh ghIj neH Germany Dabbogh nuvpu''e'. wab
> > QoyvIp qa'mey 'e' Har nuvpu'vam.
> > Many years ago, Germans wanted to scare away evil spirits. They
> > believed that these spirits were afraid of loud noises.
>
> {'e' *lu*Har}. *They* believe *it*.

Oops; thanks. I caught myself with {'e' luparHa'}, but missed this one.

Philip

Back to archive top level