tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 03:23:37 2004

Re: Kolos

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:24:21 -0500, "Scott Willis"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> From: "Christian Einfeldt" <[email protected]>
>
> > At this point, I have conflicting information from experienced
> > Klingonists as to which would be better: qo'loS or qoloS.  I
> > appreciate any and all tips to clarify.
>
> Just my opinion:
> I like {qo'loS} better.

In principle, I'd tend to lean towards that as well, mainly because
Klingon seems to favour closed syllables (consonant-vowel-consonant)
rather than open ones (consonant-vowel).

However, names appear to follow different rules; see, for example, the
names {mara} (Mara) and {qolotlh} (Koloth), which are both in TKD. The
first has two open syllables; the second has one.

However, I can imagine that "Kolos" might be {qoloS} rather than
{qo'loS} based on the similar name {qolotlh}, which does not have a
glottal stop.

I suppose my feelings could be summarised as: {qo'loS} looks to me more
like a Klingon *word* (common noun), but I could take either {qo'loS} or
{qoloS} as a Klingon *name* (proper noun).

And in this particular case, I'd tend to write it {qoloS}, on the model
of {qolotlh}.

cha' DarSeqmey vInob.

Philip

Back to archive top level