tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 01 21:06:40 2004

Re: KLBC pawpu' DIS chu'

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Newton" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 8:56 AM
Subject: KLBC pawpu' DIS chu'

> Philip:
> pawpu' DIS chu'.
> The new year has arrived!

Careful here. {paw} may not be able to be used this way. I believe all
examples of this verb point to a physical arrival, as opposed to a period of
time starting. You might want to consider {tagh} "to begin (a process)".
I'm not saying it's definitely wrong. But be aware of the usage shown us so
far.

> Philip:
> ben law', qa'mey mIgh ghIj neH Germany Dabbogh nuvpu''e'. wab QoyvIp
> qa'mey 'e' Har nuvpu'vam.
> Many years ago, Germans wanted to scare away evil spirits. They believed
> that these spirits were afraid of loud noises.

{'e' *lu*Har}. *They* believe *it*.

And everything else looks good. }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,