tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 19:15:53 2004

Re: muv

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>  Another verb to consider is {muv} "join (physically)", which can refer to
>  (physically) joining a group:

lay'tel SIvten:
> > Where does the "physically" in your gloss come from?

Voragh:
>  I have {muv} "join (physically)" in my notes without annotation, so I
>  assume I took it from TKD.  Unless someone check right now, I'll have to
>  check the Klingon-English and English-Klingon entries when I get home.

Well, I checked TKD and lay'tel is right:  the gloss reads simply {muv}
"join".  I have no idea how the qualifier "physically" got added to my
notes, but I've now deleted it.  Perhaps it was to distinguish "join" from
"join in" (i.e. "participate" {jeS}).  It's also possible someone misquoted
it on the List and I carelessly added the note without checking it against
my TKD at home.

yIvoq 'ach yI'ol!

>  We have one more bit of canon:  the noun {muvwI'} "suture" (n.) [HQ 1.3 <
>  veS QonoS].  This could be the surgical stitch itself, but more likely in
>  Trek a suturing device (Qov calls is a "wound-sealer").  We've seen the
>  various doctors use handheld surgical devices to heal wounds: e.g. bone
>  knitter, tissue regenerator, etc.  With this in mind, I would suggest that
>  we could use {muv} for joining smaller simple sentences together to form a
>  longer, complex sentence.

I'm now certain this refers to a device since it appeared in HolQeD 1.3 as
{tuj muvwI'} "thermo-suture" - lit. "heat joiner" - with other medical
devices: {'uD Haqtaj} "laser scalpel" and {Hergh QaywI'} "pneumatic hypo,
hypospray".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons