tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 30 14:40:11 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: QI'lop (n)

Quvar wrote:
> >> Klingon word:   QI'lop
>
> > Khemorex Klinzhai (at least the German chapters) have a meeting they
> > call (IIRC) "qetlop", whose name also derives from this AFAIK.
>
>When they were looking for a name for the meeting, they listened to one of
>the tapes and heard Michael Dorn say it, but there was no transcription for
>it yet. Since the apostrophe sounds pretty close to a swallowed {t} someone
>wrote down *Qet'lop*  [yes, every klingon words must have an apostrophe
>somewhere ;-)]

Of course.  How else would you know it's Klingon?  <g>

>After I had given several qepHommey, our 'admiral' decided to take the
>apostrophe away, but still use *Qetlop* because the name had become too
>famous till then.

Be careful to pronounce it correctly:

   ... in the First City and elsewhere, there is a special word,
   {qettlhup}, for the sauce prepared by thickening {chanDoq} (marinade).
   In some regions, the word {qettlhup} is seldom used; {chanDoq jeD}
   (literally, "thick marinade") is used instead.   (KGT 26)

   A special sauce ({qettlhup}) that accompanies many dishes is often
   a thickened version of {chanDoq}.  (KGT 91)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level