tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 30 14:20:15 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: QI'lop (n)

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:28:56 +0200 hat Philip Newton
<[email protected]> geschrieben:

>> >Klingon word:   QI'lop

> Khemorex Klinzhai (at least the German chapters) have a meeting they
> call (IIRC) "qetlop", whose name also derives from this AFAIK.

Indeed! Actually, I just got back from that meeting ten minutes ago. }}:-D

When they were looking for a name for the meeting, they listened to one of
the tapes and heard Michael Dorn say it, but there was no transcription for
it yet. Since the apostrophe sounds pretty close to a swallowed {t} someone
wrote down *Qet'lop* [yes, every klingon words must have an apostrophe
somewhere ;-)]

After I had given several qepHommey, our 'admiral' decided to take the
apostrophe away, but still use *Qetlop* because the name had become too
famous till then.
One might say "okay, that's the german spelling for {QI'lop}". Why not? The
english spelling for russian "MOCKBA" is "Moscow".

On the other hand, unattested rumors say that it might be the klingon word
for some special kind of meeting...   ;-)

visit http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de
and http://www.qetlop.de
and
http://www.qepHom.de