tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 21 17:49:15 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: toy'wI''a' (n)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Dar'Qang:

>(qavan Qes lagh!)

qavan je. {{:)

>FWIW, I listened to the passage several times, and what I hear is:
>{DIHIvbej.  qo'chajDaq toy'wI'ta' DImoj.}
>(I assume the 'ta' is a slight pronounciation error.)

Fair assumption. Phonetically, what I thought I heard was {toywItaj DImoj}
(without glottal stops). But I should probably watch this scene again, and
pay a little more attention this time. {{:) I'll return in the next couple
of days to report on my findings, including context (as you suggest later in
this message).

>I agree that they way Paul has translated seems to beg for {-nIS}.  But
>interestingly, I don't feel the need for {-nIS} in the original Klingon in
>the context of the scene.  I think that Paul has it right,

I agree. I just would have thought that Okrand would have put in {-nIS}.
It's nothing against Paul's translation.

>but the passage can be interpreted with a slightly different mood:
>"Obviously we attack.  We will become slaves in their world."

(Just a nitpick: "Obviously" is {-ba'}. {-bej} is "definitely".)

>As if he is offering a set of opinions, rather then a cause-effect
>analysis.  That's the way I sense it from the scene.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe he's offering a hypothesis, rather than
presuming to stamp his opinion with necessity and thereby pressuring the
Chancellor (technically, his superior) into the attack.

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Feeling spent? Apply here for emergency plastic surgery:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;9577691;9687279;r?http://www.promo.com.au/virgincreditcard/plasticsurgery/track.cfm?source=P08

Back to archive top level