tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 11 02:59:39 2004

Re: matlh / Maltz

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:08:26 +0200 (MEST), Lieven Litaer
<[email protected]> wrote:
> > Also, where is he held? (I've heard "Marc Okrand's basement" before,
> > but I'm not sure how seriously to take this... especially since, in
> > the make-believe world, MO is not affiliated with the military and I
> > would find it unlogical for him to be entrusted with prisoners.)
>
> Indeed. we need to distinguish two "worlds":
> a) Maltz is a federation prisoner who tells the federation how to speak
> Klingon.
> and
> b) Marc Okrand has invented the language, and there are no klingons.

But even in world (a), wasn't the author of TKD Marc Okrand? Who
apparently has contact with Maltz, since he's mentioned in TKD when
the author thanks him for his help.

Or perhaps I need to start somewhere else. Is the TKD part of world
(a)? I always thought yes; it certainly speaks as if it was. And CK
plays even more strongly into this in its introduction IIRC.

In world (a), who wrote/compiled/edited/whatever TKD? I thought Marc Okrand.

I never gave the question much thought, though, what MO's role is in
world (a); presumably that of a Federation linguist.

World (b) is obviously fictitious so I won't mention it here :)
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 2557.07

Back to archive top level