tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 03 12:19:57 2004

Re: Mauk-to'Vor

Voragh:
> > Here's the definition that appeared in the glossary:

Quvar:
>Is this the same book where *Suto'vo'qor* is listed?

Correct.

> > {ma' to'vor}  Mauk-to'Vor, a death ritual that allows one who has lost
> > honor to die well and go to Sto-Vo-Kor by being honorably killed by a
> > House-mate or someone equally close."
>
>Is that {ma' to'vor} spelled one or two words?

Two words.

>Do'Ha', unfortunately this is a mistake that happens way too often, to
>find spaces in tlh Ingan long
>words.

Is it a mistake?  The hyphen in the Paramount spelling *Mauk-to'Vor* may
imply two words.  For that matter, is the hyphenated form "official"?  You
yourself quote a citation with *Mauk To'Vor* below.

> > The fact that there's no /q/ leads me to suspect that this is, in fact,
> > Okrand's own spelling for Mauk-to'Var.
>
>and parallel to:
>     {ma'veq} n. "M'vek" (ceremonial knife used in the ritual of "Mauk
>     To'Vor").

This spelling is conjectural:

   The word comes from a [.wav] recording of Okrand's pronunciation at an
exhibit
   at 1998 Praxis.  The exhibitor was told by someone other than Okrand that it
   should be spelled m'veQ." (charghwI' 2/99)

Note, this is merely charghwI's transcription of what he heard; he did not
see it in writing.

Considering that Klingon /I/ is pronounced something like /uh/ - i.e. a
schwa, or the letter bI in Russian, or dotless i in Turkish - this could
well be {mI'veq} or even {mIveq}.  Okrand usually renders initial consonant
clusters separated by an apostrophe (c'c...) in Paramount words with a /I/
vowel ({cIc...})/

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons