tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 03 13:33:47 2004

-lu' with type 2 verbal suffixes?

I just came across a non-canon phrase that uses {-lu'} with {-vIp}, in which
it looks like {-vIp} refers to the *object* of the verb with {-lu'},
and I wonder if it makes sense to do this.  {-vIp} refers to how the
*subject* feels about doing the action (TKD 4.2.2, p. 36).
The example I found is {HurghtaHvIS DuQlu'chugh, jagh jup je
DuQvIpbe'lu'ba'}.  In this example the {-vIp} seems to refer to the {jagh jup je}, which is
the object of the verb.  I think the intent is "If (some)one stabs while it's
dark, (then) enemy and friend are obviously not afraid of being stabbed", i.e.,
the enemy and friend are in no danger from the sightless stabber.    However,
the latter clause really means something more like "(some)one is obviously not
afraid to stab enemy and friend", and so the sightless stabber is still a
very real danger to enemy and friend even though it's dark.  The same argument
holds for the other type 2 verbal suffixes [VS2] (-rup}, {-qang}, and {-nIS}.

I found four examples in canon of {-lu'} with a VS2.

1.  it made him/her willing to die = HeghqangmoHlu'pu'  (TKD p. 45)
      " {HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} = (some)one was willing to make her die |
(some)one made her willing to die "
       In this example {-qang} does not refer to the willingness of the
subject of {HeghmoH}, but rather to the willingness of the subject of {Hegh}, who
is the object of {HeghmoH}.
       I think the presence of {-moH} on a verb changes the interpretation of
the VS2s so that they apply either to the subject *or* the object of the
{-moH} verb, and adding ambiguity in the process.  But the original phrase
{DuQvIpbe'lu'ba'} has no {-moH}, and so this ambiguity does not apply.

2.  One need not enjoy virtue. = ghob tIvnISbe'lu'. (TKW p. 48)
       The object of  {tIvnISbe'lu'}  is  {'e'}, a pronoun referring to a
statement; i.e. something which can neither {tIv} nor {-nIS}.  Hence {-nIS} here
refers to the indefinite subject.

3.  Survival must be earned. = yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'. (TKW p. 125)
       Again the object of {bajnISlu'} is {'e'}, a pronoun referring to a
statement; i.e. something which cannot {baj} or {-nIS}.  Hence {-nIS} refers to
the indefinite subject here too.

4.  Victory must be earned. = yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'. (TKW p. 125)
       This example is functionally identical to #3.

Examples 2, 3, and 4 require the VS2 to refer to the subject, even though the
subject is indefinite.  The gloss of Example 1 indicates that the VS2 refers
to the object of the verb, but it's the interaction with {-moH} which allows
this, not the VS2 itself.  So for a VS2 to refer to a noun, that noun must be
either the subject of a verb (to which the VS2 can be attached), or the verb
must have {-moH} so that the ambiguity thus introduced allows the noun to be
either the subject or the object.

As for how to say "I am not afraid of being stabbed", perhaps {muDuQ 'e'
vISIQvIpbe'} ("I am not afraid to endure him stabbing me") is good enough.
Applied to the original situation, {jagh jup je DuQvIpbe'lu'ba'} would become
{luDuQlu' 'e' luSIQvIpbe'ba' jagh jup je}.

In any case, {jagh jup je DuQvIpbe'lu'ba'} requires a prefix {lu-} (which is
frequently left out [KGT pp. 171-2]) because of the plural object with {-lu'}.

Comments?
lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level