tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 16 14:18:25 2003

Re: Things happen Or: One person's opinion

ngabwI' wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Scott Willis wrote:
> >>   {qaS wanI'. rut, DISeHlaHbe'}
> >>   "Events happen. Sometimes, we cannot control them."
> >
> > A variation that avoids the split-sentence:
> >
> >    qaS wanI' DISeHlaHbe'bogh.
> >
> > The /rut/, IMHO, is extraneous;
>
>Agreed, but I was going for the accuracy thing.
>
> > ...Paul

Then why not just compress it further:

   rut wanI' DISeHlaHbe' neH.
   Sometimes we just can't control events.

which is the underlying idea.  {qaS} is redundant: an event isn't an event
until it happens; until then it's only a possibility {DuH} -- except,
perhaps, in temporal mechanics! <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons