tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 14 14:55:25 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: maqoch (n)

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: Klingon WOTD: maqoch (n)

> What I think I really want is to use ngugh in a clause somehow, but maybe
> not...
>
> How would you convey the idea, "It was early, I hadn't had my coffee yet"?

WRT {'eq}, the only time I've heard it in canon is on CK, where it referred
to an unnamed person being early (for something). So I agree with your
assessment, FWIW.

As for your sentence above, you might want to recast. What is early for one
is not always early for another. You could try something like:

{ngugh, jIvembe'law'. wej qa'vInwIj vItlhutlhba'.}
"At that time, I had apparently not ceased sleeping. I obviously hadn't
drank my coffee yet."

{ngugh, loQ jIQonglaw'. qa'vInwIj vItlhutlhnISba'.}
"At that time, I was apparently sleeping a little. I obviously needed to
drink my coffee."

Although, admittedly, neither of these address the fact that it was morning,
which is what the English implies to me.

{vuDwIj neH 'oH. vuDchaj maq latlh.}

--ngabwI'
tIq. taQ. tlhIngan tlhaq. HovpoH!
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/