tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 14 13:38:06 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: maqoch (n)

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Steven Boozer wrote:
> ...Paul wonders:
> >Hmm.  Play on the English "My Coach"?
>
> Really??  In what way is a coach your buddy?  IIRC my own relationship with
> coaches was always adversarial!  Maybe Okrand had better coaches than I
> did. <g>

jIjatlhtaHvIS taghchoH pem.  qa'vInwIj vItlhutlhchoHbe'.  :)

"When I spoke, the day'd just begun.  I hadn't started drinking my coffee
yet."

I felt like I should've used the adverb /ngugh/ in there, but I wasn't
sure how to phrase it.  I guess two sentences could've been used:

'eq.  ngugh jIjatlh.
"It was early.  At that time, I spoke."

But that just sounds really clunky.  I also decided I didn't really like
the idea of using /'eq/ with an implied subject -- Especially because I
think the English phrase "early" implies the day, but the Klingon /'eq/
really refers to a timetable.  Something is early (for something).

What I think I really want is to use ngugh in a clause somehow, but maybe
not...

How would you convey the idea, "It was early, I hadn't had my coffee yet"?
I definitely think it's doable in Klingon, the question is, what are the
various ways we can express it?

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
              "I love it when a plan comes together."

Back to archive top level