tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 24 10:21:23 2003

Re: rolaD bom

Andrew Marrington ([email protected])

Thanks very much for your reply!

> I consider that a dangerous attempt, especially when you've merely read
TKD
> (I tried the same with Ezechiel at the age of 16 and gave up at the
*qe'bar
> biqtiQ*)! }}:-)

Yes, just after sending this e-mail, I read the FAQ, which wisely advised
that newbies shouldn't go leaping into translating the Illiad. Oops. I'm
still very pleased to get a little feedback anyway though, although you can
rest assured that I won't perservere with it until I know what I'm doing. :)

> Anyway:
>

> > qarle - Charles
> >

> This seems improbable. I'd rather prefer something with more power, like
> *charleH* or even *charleS*.
> However, "qarle" appears phonologically wrong(only my own experience. I'll
> appreciate corrections). If you depend on *qarle* you might consider
*qarle'*.
> Else it won't be a complete second syllable(according to how I understand
> tlhingan Hol).

The reason I picked qarle here is because the Old French calls Charlemagne
"Karles", or Carlos, when it calls him "Charles". For whatever reason, it
didn't occur to me to "transliterate" Charles instead of Carlos, but I think
you're right, something like *charleS* would be more forceful.

> > Speyn - Spain
> >

> Again problematic: First, there's no Klingon diphtong resembling
[engl.]"ey"
> exactly. Second, "Sp" at the beginning seems unappropriate, for
phonological
> reasons.
> Eventually, *SIpayn* might be a solution.

As I understand it, the Klingon "ey" is pronounced "ay" from pay (TKD pg16).
You're right, "Sp" doesn't seem very Klingon.

> > rolaD - Roland
> >

> Sounds not that bad, but the "D" at the end leads to the complete omission
> of the original "n" in Roland. What a petty. }};-)
> My suggestion is *Ho'lanID* or maybe *rol'an'ID*

I like *rol'an'ID* better of the two you propose, although I'm still quite
fond of *rolaD*.

> > SaraqoSa - Saragossa
> >

> If the sea is meant, consider *Sar'aqoSa biQ'a'* (~Saragossan Sea),
meaning
> the town *Sar'aqoSa veng* seems appropriate.
> However, all this is more than less unsatisfactory, as proper nouns are a
> matter of Klingon Native Speakers to transcribe, if you want a "correct"
> transcription. }}:-)

I mean the city... now if only I could find a native speaker! :)

> My ultimate proposal to you is: Get more resources about/ in tlhingan Hol,
> (e.g. TKW, KGT, The Klingon Hamlet, ...) which are to be devoured
completely.
> Else, you might get into a "sea of troubles"(anyone out there knowing the
> t.H. translation of that passage of Hamlet? I am anxious that my mail
order "The
> Klingon Hamlet" might be "lost in mail"!)

Definitely. I guess the fact that I jumped right in to this ill-advised
translation is a testament to how much fun I'm finding the process of
learning Klingon with the TKD to be. I look forward to reading Shakespeare
it the original Klingon someday soon! :)

> What was that one proverb like?
> "tiq. taq. tlhingan thlaq" ?
>

> However -
> bye, QnoHiq

Erm... what does that proverb mean? "Heart. Be weird. Klingon chronometer."
is about as sensible as I can get it... :)

Anyway,

QnoHiq qatlho'!

ma'Sa

Back to archive top level